Saturday, July 15, 2006

An Brief Evening on Julington Creek

My mom has never been out on our kayak before, and, thinking that she would enjoy it, we decided to go out to Julington Creek for a short trip along the bank. Julington Creek is a tributary to the St. Johns that I mentioned in my Durbin Creek trip report, and it is generally a very nice creek. I had planned to cast a few plastic lures into the cyress on the bank to try my luck with the bass...which, I am not afraid to admit, is never usually very good. After shoving my mom and dad off on their way, I tromped through some knee-deep grass in shorts and sandals....Stop right here....I never recommend doing this, because you can easily step on a rattlesnake or water moccasin and be in baaad shape. Not to mention the fact that you're probably going to end up picking tics out of your legs...and some other undesirable places...that night. Please don't be stupid like me. Wear boots and jeans, and snake leggings are recommended too. I found a nice mud flat up on the creek with a lot of cypress knees and snags, and was just fixing to set up my gear when I saw my mom and dad floating back up toward the launch site. Apparently, my mom had not enjoyed it quite as much as she though we would and wanted out. For some reason the same water that she waded out waist deep into when she was a kid just struck a nervous chord in her today. I did, however, have the time to snap a couple pictures...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I found this plant growing alone set back on the high tide mark...Some kind of orchid maybe?? I have no idea.
UPDATE: Thanks to FloridaCracker, I now know that this plant is Swamp Lily. I feel kind of stupid living here all my life and not knowing what type of flower this is. But thanks, FC.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This storm was brewing across the river as the sun set. Didn't bring anything but a little thunder to us.

Well, we're taking another trip out to Kendall's Prairie tomorrow, so be on the lookout for a story and pictures.

2 comments:

R.Powers said...

It's swamp lilly.

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

Thanks. Now I feel like an idiot for not knowing. I truly know very little about flora. I really need to a get a field guide to plants.