Wednesday, December 27, 2006

My Editorial

This is the editorial I wrote that was printed by the Florida Times-Union last Thursday, for those of you who do not subscribe to that paper. I know almost all of you who read my blog will be saying "amen" to pretty much everything in here. You're true Floridians :-D.

As a ninth-generation native Floridian, I have an indescribable love for the state in which we live. In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful parts of this nation in many different ways. But what I look around my homeland, I see my beloved native soil being torn apart before my very eyes. The greedy pillaging of our land, commonly known as "progress" or "development," has wreaked permanent destruction upon Florida's land and culture. It is vital that, as responsible representatives, the leaders of our community take a step back and look at what is being lost as we develop our land. Pick up a kayak paddle, lace on a pair of hiking boots, attend the Florida Folk Festival, and go see what true Florida is about. I am sure you will all be horrified by the destruction, too, after you seee what is out there being destroyed. If we do not implement tighter controls on development now, the Floridian heritage will be relegated to history books by the time my children attend school. I am sure you do not want to be remembered as the generation that destroyed Florida.

6 comments:

SophieMae said...

Oh yes! Definitely a few AMENs from this corner of the state! Several years ago, we moved up to the Big Bend/Panhandle area to get back to FLORIDA. Now St. Joe (among others) is destroying this area, as well. It just breaks my heart to see all these new subdivisions and shopping centers popping up. Even moreso when so many of them stand empty for years.

Now, before I write an entire post in your comments, I'll pass the soap box along.

Hope you're feeling better soonly! Get plenty of rest and take real good care of yourself!

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

sophie - You are welcome to write as long a comment as you want! The longer the better! It sure is a shame to see that area going downhill...I will probably be around there quite often, as I will likely be going to FSU a year and a half from now. That coastal area there is very ecologically unique. Fortunately, a HUGE portion of the panhandle is protected by the Eglin AFB preserve. I may be living in the panhandle after college for the very same reason you live there now. I just fear that there will be no large pieces of land to live on by then.

R.Powers said...

Good stuff HT. We all need to do that, it's amazing how much effect a good letter to the editor can have.

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

FC - I sure as heck is has an effect. I mainly did it to rant :-D.

SophieMae said...

HT, I wish I could hold on to this place long enough to give you a shot at it. DH's job is taking us back over to the Atlantic coast and it's just about killing me to have to give up our acres here in the national forest.

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

ewwww...well, depending on which part of the coast your are planning to move to, there is still some land left here. However, even though my county is still 70-80% rural (my estimate), that land will disappear really soon, so it is not even worth getting land. I wish you luck in finding another spot that will make you happy.