Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My First Day!

This is my first day on blogspot and I am excited to be able to share my thoughts with all of you in CyberSpace. First I'd like to give you a few of the factoids about me I am most proud of...

I'm an 11th generation native Floridian.
My family settled New Smyrna in 1768 and, after 5 years of an indenture and 4 years of practical slavery under the now hated Andrew Turnbull, they escaped in 1777 to St. Augustine, where we have been ever since.
I still carry on much of Minorcan tradition
I have 26 documented ancestors (probably more that I haven't found yet) who bravely fought for the Confederate States of America in the War Between the States
I grow Datil Peppers, Tangerines, and Satsumas...I wish I grew more...I guess you could say I have a green thumb
I truly love the REAL Florida (not Disney World, Florida's wild) and I hate to see it get pillaged by overdevelopement
I love kayaking and cycling...especially because it allows me to see parts of this beautiful state that so few people get to see
I am an aspiring meteorolgist and I plan to go into the field of tropical meteorology
I am a devout Roman Catholic
Like many southernors, I'm a Democrat for the most part, but the immorality of some of their beliefs drives me to consistently support Republicans
Okay and I'll admit it before you find out some other way....sigh....I'm half Yankee....my dad's from Pitsburgh....consequently, I love Pittsburgh sports.

So those are the topics I will probably talk about most often on here, mixed in with some random stuff I may come up with. I am going to try my best to post on here every day, but this can get hard, especially during the school year, when I am busy. I am also working on getting a digital camera so I can post pictures on here. I hope ya'll enjoy it...and I hope I can keep up with it.

3 comments:

R.Powers said...

HT,
Way to go!
It's up to us to keep real Florida alive.

Anonymous said...

Ran across your blog and thought I'd give you a little info about Peter Pacetti. He was my Great -Great Grandfather and my Grandmother talked of of him often. She stayed with him and her Grandmother Jane often when she was a child. Louisa Pacetti was her Mother and John Masters was her Father. She told me that Her Grandfather was the gate keeper of the fort at St Augustine about the time that Geronimo and his band were prisoners there and her Grandmother sewed clothes for the indian children. He and Jane are both buried in Green Cove Springs at Our Lady of Counsel Catholic Cemetery. Would love to have some of those datil peppers you grow.

MinorcanMeteorolgist said...

I am not sure when you left this comment, but thank you for the information. If you are speaking of Colonel John Masters, I know him and respect him very much. He is in my Sons of Confederate Veterans camp, and my mom grew up two doors down from him (he was an adult, she was a child)...Though it seems that I may be off one generation, and we may be speaking of different people. Peter Pacetti is my great, great, great uncle, as his brother Domingo is my ggg grandfather. I have pictures of Peter's gravestone at Mill Creek Cemetery (Our Lady of Good Counsel.) Thanks for sharing, and I hope to stay in touch. I am always glad to supply people with Datil peppers if they are not able to grow them where they live. I am already doing so for a couple people.